Southern Illinois Cycling Community

eBikes

Welcome to our community

Be apart of the ONLY Southern Illinois Cycling Community, Register Today, It's Free!

Craig

White Jersey
I've not seen any comments here regarding the increasing use of ebikes. We have 4 and ride them constantly. For those who thought that their bike riding days were behind them due to age, disability etc.; eBikes have been a boon.

E-bike sales in the United States surged 269 percent between 2019 and 2022, approaching $1 billion, even as overall bike sales declined, reports market research firm Circana. In the United States, e-bikes now outsell electric cars and trucks.

I've not seen any comments here regarding the increasing use of ebikes. We have 4 and ride them constantly. For those who thought that their bike riding days were behind them due to age, disability etc.; eBikes have been a boon.

E-bike sales in the United States surged 269 percent between 2019 and 2022, approaching $1 billion, even as overall bike sales declined, reports market research firm Circana. In the United States, e-bikes now outsell electric cars and trucks.

Great point about e-bikes. I think for the longest time lots of folks were against e-bikes and gatekeeping cycling because they were seen as "cheating" fitness. I was guilty of this at first. It took me about a year to come around and make the realization that many others made from early on "E-bikes are good for all cyclists." Not only do they help older or disabled people, they help every cyclist. One of the big challenges of riding many many hours a week is that with the increased exposure to cars increase my likelihood of something terrible happening. Also, with increased exposure to people on bikes (any bike) means more people pay attention to them. And for those exceptional people in our communities that only care about something if it directly effects them, there is a higher chance that they know a cyclist or are one themselves.

TL;DR: Ebikes are great for all cyclists!

I'm very much for the eBiking community. As stated, now people who are older or disabled and can't ride traditional bikes can still enjoy the fruits of cycling.

I've ridden one for about 10 feet lol. It was different. It was COOL! But I do like my traditional bike better. I'm getting more out of it. I would definitely buy and use an eBike though, especially to commute to work.

I might eventually go that route.

Back