Southern Illinois Cycling Community

Tunnel Hill State Trail is going downhill fast.

Welcome to our community

Be apart of the ONLY Southern Illinois Cycling Community, Register Today, It's Free!

Shawn Gossman

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
If anyone rides Tunnel Hill Trail that much, you'll understand the title of this thread.

The trail isn't as maintained as it was back in 2012 when I first started riding it.

Today, I sent an email to the IDNR rep and Senator Dale Fowler, among others, about wanting to form an NPO that supports the trail on both the state land and in Harrisburg.

I feel as though the trail needs an organization to support it, raise money, and do volunteerism on it.

It's too much of a gem not to fight for.

I wanted to post this to see if anyone would be interested in serving on the board when it comes to be.

I think it’s bringing attention to the issues with the trail has been very beneficial. I hope the powers to be see and continue to see the love and concern for the trail. I know their staffing has been strapped but some simple things like back dragging their tracks when pushing trees off the trail would be helpful. I think when they see the amount of people willing to help with a “friends of” group it will be an eye opener for them.

Just to update.

I've formed Friends of the Tunnel Hill State Trail and doing some last-minute things before we get official approval from IDNR.

We have 7 board members including myself and @618Gravel

We are committed to helping this awesome trail that keeps southern IL very much as the cycling mecca that it's turning into.

A lot of stuff is planned.

I'll announce more when I can.

Reactions: Rom
Back