Southern Illinois Cycling Community

Bike License Plates

Welcome to our community

Be apart of the ONLY Southern Illinois Cycling Community, Register Today, It's Free!

Shawn Gossman

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Some people feel that cyclists who ride on the road or a public trail should also have some sort of license plate that they pay for.

How do you feel about that sort of thing?

Is it justified or are you opposed to it?

Some argue that since they have to pay for plates on regular vehicles, cyclists should also have to do the same.

I don't mind paying for it, we kind of already do with taxes here in Illinois. My main problem is, I'm not strapping a license plate to my bike, and I'm sure not putting a sticker on it. So the best option would be a digital option like an insurance card. However, then it's not policeable. So I'll say no, because we (all cyclists in southern illinois) do significantly less damage to the roads than a single car over the course of the year.

This has mainly been used as a method to stop poor people in urban areas. The local governments who have implemented bike registration generally repeal it later. I'm more concerned with the effects of e-bikes which I guarantee will become a problem that is taken out on all cyclists.

This has mainly been used as a method to stop poor people in urban areas. The local governments who have implemented bike registration generally repeal it later. I'm more concerned with the effects of e-bikes which I guarantee will become a problem that is taken out on all cyclists.
Just because they're like vehicles or something else?

I'm all for pedal assist e-bikes, the only problem i have is with the throttle ones which might as well be mopeds
They're allowed on Tunnel Hill now.

I've seen plenty that are safe and look appropriate for the trail.

However, I've seen a few that look like it would hurt a lot of they crashed into you. Sometimes I feel like those may need insurance.

As an Independent social liberal and fiscal conservative, that's a big NO. I believe in as much freedom as possible, as long as someone is not harming others, leave people alone to do as they please. State already taxes us to death. No more government intervention for the rule happy.
I definitely don't disagree but if I could pay $100 a year on a cycling tax or a bike license registration number or something like that to shut up the "you shouldn't ride on the road because you don't pay for it" people, it would be tempting.

But I'd expect my money to go to cycling infrastructure improvements and there be proof of it.

Reactions: Wop
Back