Southern Illinois Cycling Community

How do you not get burned out from cycling?

Welcome to our community

Be apart of the ONLY Southern Illinois Cycling Community, Register Today, It's Free!

Shawn Gossman

Forum Admin
Staff member
Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Once upon a time, I biked almost every day 30 to 60 miles a day.

I did it so much that I started burning myself out from it.

Getting into hiking was my way to balance it out and not get burned out.

Can you bike all the time and always enjoy it or so you have to do something else to keep yourself balanced out?

At the end of CX season i take a few weeks off the bike, just to recover. I'm usually completely cooked by then so it is needed. Between January and Mid December i just have to continually focus on whatever the workout is. I always have a goal though, so I know that if i take time off, i may not reach my goal

At the end of CX season i take a few weeks off the bike, just to recover. I'm usually completely cooked by then so it is needed. Between January and Mid December i just have to continually focus on whatever the workout is. I always have a goal though, so I know that if i take time off, i may not reach my goal
I think that's a good idea - to take a break from cycling.

I would just need to do something active because I like eating sweets and junk too much LOL

Vary up road and mountain biking; also ride on and off road motorcycles. In the winter usually focus on weight-lifting and running. Usually mix cycling with fishing, kayaking, etc. Ride individually and with groups. Never been burned out.
I think the important thing is like you noted, changing things up and doing different things.

For me I like to mix up the rides. I do long solo rides, small group, large group, day and night rides. Another way i mix it up is some days i ride gravel others i do road, and on occasion i will through mountain biking in the mix and there is always the trainer. I still throw in a hike or kayak trip and a couple of bike packing trips from time to time in the mix.
Cycling is my drug of choice out of all the activities.

Back