Southern Illinois Cycling Community

What have you done to upgrade your bike?

Welcome to our community

Be apart of the ONLY Southern Illinois Cycling Community, Register Today, It's Free!

I'm definitely a tinkerer so stock components just don't stick around too long on my bike.

Specialized Allez Sprint:
Everything but the seatpost and frame

Specialized Tarmac:
Added powermeter and new wheels

Raleigh RXC (didn't come to me stock):
Swapped to 1x drivetrain using tanpan and deore xt MTB derailleur
New wheels (mismatched)
New bars

Specialized Chisel:
Bone stock except tires and a new rear derailleur because the other one met a terrible fate.

I ride all Giant brand bikes, they are superior so you don’t have to change anything about them. Haha
I have however add a few accessories. My carbon Defy now has a nice set of aero bars and a cloud9 seat.
For my carbon Revolt I have added front and rear racks for adventure bike packing along with a cloud9 seat and an accessories bar to mount lights and computer on. I also changed the rear wheel to a 32 spoke to accommodate the extra weight of bike packing.

I'm definitely a tinkerer so stock components just don't stick around too long on my bike.

Specialized Allez Sprint:
Everything but the seatpost and frame

Specialized Tarmac:
Added powermeter and new wheels

Raleigh RXC (didn't come to me stock):
Swapped to 1x drivetrain using tanpan and deore xt MTB derailleur
New wheels (mismatched)
New bars

Specialized Chisel:
Bone stock except tires and a new rear derailleur because the other one met a terrible fate.
I've looked into adding a power meter. A bit out of my budget right now lol.

I ride all Giant brand bikes, they are superior so you don’t have to change anything about them. Haha
I have however add a few accessories. My carbon Defy now has a nice set of aero bars and a cloud9 seat.
For my carbon Revolt I have added front and rear racks for adventure bike packing along with a cloud9 seat and an accessories bar to mount lights and computer on. I also changed the rear wheel to a 32 spoke to accommodate the extra weight of bike packing.
Been meaning to ask you how the new wheel is doing.

A power meter is the single most important training tool that I use. I'm not fast, but without power based training I wouldn't even be where I am.
I agree. I use a road bike power meter for being a nerd :sneaky: and for improving my training. I am impatiently awaiting new stock for the brand new Assioma power meter pedals for SPD cleats for the gravel bike. I have a set on my road bike (Look Keo compatible) and very much geek out on them.

The Assioma pedals are dramatically cheaper than the competition and extremely accurate. See YouTube reviews by GPLama and DCRaiinmaker

I agree. I use a road bike power meter for being a nerd :sneaky: and for improving my training. I am impatiently awaiting new stock for the brand new Assioma power meter pedals for SPD cleats for the gravel bike. I have a set on my road bike (Look Keo compatible) and very much geek out on them.

The Assioma pedals are dramatically cheaper than the competition and extremely accurate. See YouTube reviews by GPLama and DCRaiinmaker
I agree, but I don't ride Look Keo's or Shimano XT pedals. So crank based power is my preferred method. I did contemplate moving pedal options, but cant get myself to do it.

I agree, but I don't ride Look Keo's or Shimano XT pedals. So crank based power is my preferred method. I did contemplate moving pedal options, but cant get myself to do it.
Flats? ;)
Be careful of crank based power meters. Some are pretty good (Quarq) and some are very inaccurate (Shimano). I'll reinforce the idea of using GPLama and DCRaiinmaker reviews to help making decisions.

Flats? ;)
Be careful of crank based power meters. Some are pretty good (Quarq) and some are very inaccurate (Shimano). I'll reinforce the idea of using GPLama and DCRaiinmaker reviews to help making decisions.
Nah, speedplays for the road and crank bros for offroad. Look at me mom, I'm a non-conformist :).

All my PM are Quarq. I do understand there are some benefits for pedal based, but really power doesn't matter (unless on zwift). Power is a consistently moving target so at best its close enough, and close enough if good enough for training zones.

Back